Sunday, May 25, 2014

I need a holiday!

Actually, I had a good time at the movies this weekend. I saw X-Men: Days of Future Past and Godzilla and I'll be reviewing them shortly. Both have problems but have virtues to compensate, and I'll describe these when I feel more capable. But I've just now, on a dare, watched The Lone Ranger, and it has numbed my brain and frankly demoralized me to such an extent that I can't write positively about anything. I'd hoped that Gore Verbinksi's disaster of last year was one of those eccentricities that failed due to audience misunderstanding, that it had qualities that certain viewers could appreciate but were missed by mainstream wire-service reviewers. But if anything it was worse than the critical consensus, and the waste in every frame eventually offended me. Many of its sins are really common to "roller-coaster ride" or "tentpole" movies, but the complete failure of creative judgment here was stunning. There's no point in going into detail; doing so would only darken my mood further. So I'll delay the real reviews I was planning for a day in memory of all those dead dollars and two hours taken from my own life, and maybe tomorrow I'll be able to think positively about movies again.

1 comment:

hobbyfan said...

Lone Ranger should've been on your "avoid" list, Sammy. Easily the worst attempt at a summer blockbuster since they cast Will Smith in Wild, Wild West.

I guess we can officially classify you as a masochist for even seeing it.